Knutty4Knitting

Musings on machine knitting, the art of knitting, and the mechanics of knitting. Maybe once in awhile I'll talk about my kids, but I'll warn you first, so that you can skip that part.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Day 1 at Newtons

Well, I am happy today! I went to Newton's machine knitting seminar (www.newtons.com) and bought more yarn. Boy, I'd better start knitting again because my yarn stash is threatening to take over my rooms! Anyway, Helen at Newtons has a raffle at the end of each seminar day, and I won three prizes in a row!!!!! Yaaaay! I was so surprised, because I've been going to the seminars 3x a year for 4 years and I have never ever won anything. And today, I won a blocking board cloth, this lucite thingamajig that is meant to hold all my machine knitting accessories, and a $75 credit at Newtons! Yippeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going back tomorrow for the hands-on felting class. Tonight, I am going to knit a tiny purse to hold my cell phone with either the black or red kola wool yarn and tomorrow shrink it down via felting. I also bought a new machine knitting pattern for a jaunty-looking poncho and I think I might knit that tonight, as well. I have burgundy mohair that I can mix with another burgundy yarn. I also have a baby pink mohair that I can knit with a ballet pink venetian wool ray yarn.

I made a green shawl last night with this new yarn Virginia carries called Diamist F-mole. It's from Japan. I knit the shawl with a variegated boucle chenille yarn. The two yarns together are so pretty! The shawl ended up with a really unique striped pattern. I really wish I had a camera so I could model it for you. There's a catch to this shawl, however: I knitted it kind of tight (at least to my eyes.....I normally like a loose, drapey feel/look to my shawls), so I think I might have to add some fringe to make the shawl look bigger and drapier. And we all know how I feel about fringes!!! :( I hate to fringe. But, ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do.

I was happy to go back to Newtons.....it was like going home....I am going to start going back to Newtons every Friday.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home