Knutty4Knitting

Musings on machine knitting, the art of knitting, and the mechanics of knitting. Maybe once in awhile I'll talk about my kids, but I'll warn you first, so that you can skip that part.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Reflection

I am in my third week of classes and have just realized that by signing up for this program I am avoiding or delaying having a relationship. I signed up with match.com with some friends, but while one friend has found her true love, I have yet to go out with anyone. I am afraid. Why? I am reasonably attractive, intelligent, educated, nice, self-supporting, etc. I have gotten lots of responses, and have corresponded with some of the men, but there is no one who really interests me. I would rather be reading books about theories of education instead of going out with someone. I would rather be spending my three-day Labor Day weekend reading and writing about diversity in higher education instead of having coffee or dinner or going to a museum with someone who seems very interested in me.

This concerns me. What am I avoiding? Do I really like learning that much? Well, yes, I do. I love being in the world of ideas. I am thinking of switching over to the Ph.D. program so that I can totally immerse myself in theory and research. But back to what I am avoiding. I think I have a fear of being controlled again. I have worked so hard to get where I am today (emotionally, psychologically, but definitely NOT financially!), that I am reluctant to let it go. I am reluctant to share my bed and my life with anyone. At this point in my life, I don't have to think of anyone but myself. My children are grown and pretty much on their own. I just don't see myself having to ask my husband or boyfriend for permission or having to take their feelings or schedule into consideration when planning something I want to do. I like my life as it is just fine. So what is the problem? I think I am afraid of having real emotional intimacy with someone. I don't think I can give up who I am. To be continued.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home