Knutty4Knitting

Musings on machine knitting, the art of knitting, and the mechanics of knitting. Maybe once in awhile I'll talk about my kids, but I'll warn you first, so that you can skip that part.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

AT LAST!!! My daughter Likes Something I Made!

AT LAST!!! My daughter likes something I made! My 23-year-old daughter usually turns her nose up at my shawls and scarves (not her style, she says), unless she desperately needs a last-minute gift for someone. The other day she asked me if I had something she could put her ipod in so it wouldn't get scratched in her purse. Well, I had just the thing: the little "phone sock" I made back in March at Newtons and hand-felted. She loved it!!! It is a ragged-looking little thing, and it needs a type of closure, such as a button or velcro, but my daughter is very very happy with it, so I think I will knit another one especially for her in her favorite color, purple. And it was so easy to make (although it does involve the use of a ribber for circular knitting)! Here is a picture of it:


Perfect size for an Ipod! I will include a pocket on the back for the headphones.

Sorry for the messy blog. I still have not figured out how to put the pics exactly where I want them and how to put more than one pic in a post. Help me, please!!!! Any and all advice/tips appreciated.

Okay, now I've decided to go to the 10:30 Weight Watchers meeting so I have time to write a little bit about my Spring Fling boutique yesterday. In a word, it was a HUGE FLOP. Okay, that's two words. The powers-that-be failed to publicize the event, so all the vendors sold about 1 item each. One of the other vendors bought a shawl from me, and that was it. It was so disappointing. Nobody made any money, especially since it cost $50 for a table, $15 for valet parking, $10 for tips to and from the car for my boxes. I was pissed, and complained in a major way to the management, and just to shut me up, they let me pay $12.50 instead of $25 (I shared a table). Ha! My sister-in-law and the other vendors got a $10 discount.

And this is a major weekend for gift-buying. Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I was so so disappointed.

I guess this concludes my holiday boutique/bazaar knitting until October. I'm disgusted with my yarn buying habits and do not even want to think about buying yarn until I've knitted enough to use up at least a quarter of the yarn I currently have. I have enough yarn to make miles and miles of scarves and shawls and ipod holders. I have enough yarn to make tons and tons of baby blankets and hats for gifts. I have enough yarn to make at least three suits and at least 5 sweater sets. It's time now to work on building up my work wardrobe, which is, after all, one of the main reasons I took up knitting. I guess I will put away my bulky machine for awhile and use my standard bed. I will focus on completing my brown suit (haven't we all heard this before?) and starting a cardigan for my other daughter's graduation later this month.

Not to complain, since all the yarn I have is through my own fault, but I have such a major weakness for yarn. When the yarn lady calls me to describe what new yarn has arrived and how beautiful it knits up, I am all ears. I start salivating and making plans to drive the 70 miles to her place. I mentally go through my bills-to-be-paid list and start trying to figure out which bill can wait another month or figure out what I can do without this month so I can buy yet another boxload of yarn. I am truly yarn-addicted! This is so wrong wrong wrong. I worked through one of my friend's drug addiction with her and it made me so sad to see she was so utterly helpless when it came to her dependence on the drug. Her dealer was calling her day and night, enticing her, threatening her, manipulating her. She was powerless to resist. Her body craved it. It was only when we got her back to the West Coast, into rehab, and under the care of a wonderful doctor was she able to beat her addiction.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not want to equate the lovely V (the yarn lady) with a ruthless drug dealer. She is wonderful. Rather, I just wanted to describe my helplessness when it comes to buying yarn. I cannot resist. I cannot say no. I crave to be surrounded by cones and cones and balls and balls and skeins and skeins of beautiful yarn. The problem is, I cannot afford it on a monthly or even bi-monthly basis.

I am off to the showers and then Weight Watchers. I think the acupuncture is working. I lost some weight last week and can't weight to see if I lost weight this week. According to my scale, yes. Let's see what WW says. My acupuncturist just called and she she has time to see me this morning. Yippeee!!!! Off I go.......Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home