Knutty4Knitting

Musings on machine knitting, the art of knitting, and the mechanics of knitting. Maybe once in awhile I'll talk about my kids, but I'll warn you first, so that you can skip that part.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

My yarn stash and plans for my birthday party

Last weekend, I knit three shawls: 2 purplish shawls (variegated blue, purple and green slinky yarn that I ran with this neat variegated yarn that also had blue, purple, some green, and a glittery yet subtle thread) and 1 reddish shawl with a variegated yarn in oriental red, green, and yellow that I ran with a germaine in a oriental red. I just have to crochet the edges and put some fringe. And we all know how I feel about fringing!!!!!!

This weekend, I am going to knit. I've cleared my calendar and all I want to do is clean and organize my knitting room and knit. I've got way too much yarn....and I really should organize them. Right now they are "organized" in huge plastic bins that are marked "Stuff" and "More Stuff". Just kidding. Actually they are unmarked, but one plastic bin holds my so so yarn--acrylics and stuff I really don't like. I probably will donate all that yarn to weSpark, the cancer support group that helped me so much 2 years ago--and the other bin holds my "nice" yarn that I don't need right at this second. I also have a yarn tree that holds 68 cones of nice and useful yarn, stuff that I like to look at and touch. I have two other plastic bins. One holds finished stuff and the other holds unfinished stuff, like all the shawls I've knitted and my infamous brown suit that I am going to finish by knitting the two sleeves of the jacket and hemming the skirt and putting some kind of edging on the shell. And then I've got three huge garbage bags full of yarn I bought at Newtons and from Virginia a couple of weeks ago.

Besides my brown suit, I plan to knit a shell for my friend Cessy. Her birthday was in January, but I think they (my co-workers) all know what a procrastinator I am. I'll also do a worm trim on the poncho I knit for her daughter about 4 months ago so that I can give it to her.

My birthday is next week. Besides work, I am very preoccupied with planning my birthday party. I want to have it at this Middle Eastern restaurant (or, for those who don't know what Middle Eastern food is like, we can call it a "mediterannean-style" food). My eldest daughter and I love the food there. I like the shawarma and the baba ganouch and the humus. I eat there 2 or three times a week (yes, you've guessed it, I'm not much of a cook). My daughter was aghast when I told her I wanted my party there. She says "it doesn't have any atmosphere". Well, so what? It's my party and I'll do what I want!

I love dives, and while this restaurant is not really a dive, it is very homey and low-key, and it is located in a strip mall. Once in awhile I will see a sinister-looking group of people (mainly men), but other than that, it is a great family restaurant. I do feel kind of funny having my birthday dinner in a strip mall, but I really didn't feel like spending $500 for the bowling party or eating at one of the tonier Middle Eastern restaurants in Westwood or on Ventura Boulevard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home