Knutty4Knitting

Musings on machine knitting, the art of knitting, and the mechanics of knitting. Maybe once in awhile I'll talk about my kids, but I'll warn you first, so that you can skip that part.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Black V-Neck Almost Finished! But I Wore It to Work Today Anyway

Last night it was hot and I was grouchy because after taking my 20-year-old son out to dinner, I agreed to let him practice driving so he could finally get his driver's license. Now honestly, what 20-year-old male does not already have his driver's license? Well, I'll tell you: this particular 20 y.o., because he has a zillion friends who don't mind acting as his personal chauffeur and driving 15 miles from the Hollywood Hills or from Hancock Park to pick up the 20 y.o. only to bring him to their homes so they can play video games, as well as two sisters who also love to drive and spend precious money on gasoline, and a frazzled mother who figures she's done her share of chauffeuring over 23 1/2 years of motherhood and would really rather not drive said 20 y.o. boy (or man, as he prefers to be called) when he could so easily just get his driver's license and drive himself. Oh, and also, Pittsburgh, where he goes to college, has an absolutely fabulous (so I hear)public transportation system, thus eliminating the need for cars for students, and any incentive for him to get his license. Not so here in Los Angeles, where 15 miles is considered a short drive, and distances are measured in minutes, not in miles. (Where does your father live? Oh, about 45 minutes to an hour away. Translation: 40 miles in no traffic. How far away do you work? Well, it's 9 miles away, but a 45 minute drive through the canyons during rush hour.).

Anyway, driving with my son was so traumatic that this morning I hired a driving instructor to lay down the law with him and to practice with him and to take him to the DMV to get his license. Never again will I put my life in that boy's hands. My younger brother had been driving around with my son, but apparently, it hasn't helped much. My son thinks I yell too much, and maybe I do, but when I see a car backing out of a driveway and my son is speeding down Woodman at 45 miles an hour and I point it out to him, I certainly expect him to put on the brakes! But no, he just tells me he sees the guy and keeps on speeding. He says he's not going to hit the car. Well, of course he's not PLANNING on hitting the car (I hope), but how do we know what is going on in the other driver's head? How do we know he's going to stay put? Try telling that to my 20 y.o. Also, I drive a small car, and so when I am driving down a regular sized street, I usually figure there's going to be lots of room between me and the other cars. Not when S (my son) is driving. Seriously, there was about 4 inches between my side of the car (the passenger side) and the cars parked on the street. When I told him, he said he was cool (whatever that means!), and I should really stop shouting. Youth has no fear! Or respect for the elderly! I don't know whether he can't see at night or whether he has a problem with depth perception. Anyway, since I'm not really talking to him anymore, I will just let the driving instructor put my not so little boy in his place.

ANYWAY. I was so grouchy when we got back home that I went to my bedroom and dug out my black v-neck and started to crochet the neckline and the armholes while watching my new favorite reality show: Hooking Up. Unfortunately, I had to go to bed early because my eldest daughter wanted to sleep with me because I have air conditioning in my room and she had to get up early to take her GRE. (She got a 1380 out of 1600, by the way, and she took it cold, without taking a prep class!). So, I finished the neckline and started on one of the armholes, but didn't finish. I wanted to wear it today with my $20 skirt from the famous Alley (behind Santee in the Garment District). It looks cute! See for yourself:




The double crochet trim did not really come through, but the cleavage shot looks really sexy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home